Throughout the next month each pre-candidate will be coming to Bend for a three-day visit. We are looking forward to getting to know our pre-candidates better and introducing them to our church and to Bend.
Because they have not yet let their congregations know they are in search, we must continue to maintain confidentiality about their identity. If you happen to see a group of us touring the building or meeting at a local restaurant, please be discreet and ignore us.
We hope to be able to announce a finalist for the settled minister position in early April.
January 13, 2017 -
The Ministerial Search Committee (MSC) is pleased to report that as of January 2, we received 22 names of ministers expressing an interest in our Settled Minister position! The committee has reviewed these applicants’ Ministerial Records and other related materials. From that group we have reached agreement on six applicants who appear to have the experience and qualities our congregation is looking for in a settled minister. We are very pleased to have this large a field of strong applicants.
In the next week, the MSC will be using video conferencing to interview our six applicants. From there, we hope to select three or four pre-candidates who will be invited for a two-day visit, including a more in-depth interview. These visits will take place in February and early March. Because ministers in search have not yet informed their congregation of their plans, the MSC must maintain strict confidentiality about the identity of our applicants and pre-candidates.
The Unitarian Universalist Association’s Transitions Office has provided us with the following data about this year’s Settled Minister Search:
- 47 congregations are searching for ministers; so far 85 ministers have expressed interest in these congregations.
- Each congregation averaged 13.7 expressions of interest from ministers, ranging from a low of 1 and a high of 31. Twenty-two ministers expressed an interest in UUFCO.
- The age of ministers searching ranges from mid-20s to 70s.
- There are 45 women, 36 men, and 4 who identify as transexual or other.
- There are 10 people of color, 4 who have a stated disability, 48 who are heterosexual, and 37 who are bisexual/gay/lesbian/other.
- Of the 85 ministers in search, 18 are new to the ministry, 67 have ministerial experience of at least one year, and fewer than 10 have more than 6 years’ experience.
Your Ministerial Search Committee